Tuesday 6 September 2011

Pesto

I was in Ottawa for the weekend and spent some quality time in the Byward Market perusing all of the fresh veggies, meats and cheeses.  I was in heaven.  I happened to pick up a huge bunch of Basil with Pesto in mind.
I love Pesto on pasta, mixed with mayo as a spread, drizzled over goat cheese as an app, spread on chicken, fish, seafood, even steak or even drizzled over gorgeous juicy red tomatoes.
I am freezing my pesto in ice cube trays so I didn't add the cheese.  I got about 8 cubes out of this recipe.  I will add the cheese in once it's thawed.  I will give you my recipe for Pesto with the parm in it.  If you are planning on doing as I did and popping it into the freezer, omit the cheese before freezing and simply add it in as you need it, once you've thawed it.  If you're dairy free, don't use it at all.  You're still going to get wonderful flavor from the basil and garlic.



Pesto


2 cups fresh Basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 3)
3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
salt & pepper

Toss the basil, garlic and pine nuts into a food processor (or blender) and pulse, scraping down sides until rough chopped.  Slowly add the olive oil until a loose paste forms.  Stir in parm if using.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment